This is the actual cottage on Mt. Desert Island where Caroline D. Grimm,
author of The Guest Book, conceived the idea for the novel.
You asked, you wanted to know. You emailed. All of you said, ''I can't wait to read this book.'' and, ''At least tell us how it begins!''
So, with no further delay dear readers, here it is...the beginning of a novel that will make you feel, to the depth of your soul, the real value of each one of us. You will walk away from this story knowing how important it is to love and to never give up...
It starts with our main character, Dominique:
''The impact of the crash woke her, panic clutching at her heart, squeezing her throat. She sat bolt upright in her bed, gasping for breath, eyes wide with horror. Panting, with a soft moan escaping her lips, she caught sight of herself in the bureau mirror. A terrified woman, ebony skin, neat cornrows in graying hair, staring dark eyes, a curvaceous form. The early morning light touched the dark corners of the room, landed gently on the brightly colored quilt wrapped in confused contours around her legs. She looked around the room, trying to calm her night terrors. All was familiar and far from the horror she’d seen in her dreams. The child’s faded artwork on the walls. The mason jar of sea roses on the bureau. She felt the peace returning, creeping quietly like the mist over Seal Cove. She drew in a breath, forcing it deeper and deeper into her lungs. Calmer now. The nightmare fading into the background...Swinging her feet to the floor, her toes automatically sought the comfort of her worn slippers. She reached for her silk robe, soft peach, sliding its shimmering lightness over her back and arms, hiding the ugliness of the scars that would never fade. Much to be done, she reminded herself with gentle sternness. No time for megrims and shadows. Folks are coming. Much to be done.''
Available for purchase locally at Bridgton Books
or online at AMAZON.COM
The Guest Book tells the stories of four different families and centers around a local resident named Dominique. Dominique is the owner of a cute cottage that she rents out on a vacation website. She is a mysterious presence throughout the story, her own scarred past gradually revealed as the story unfolds. She serves as a shining example of the good we can each do for others, even while we are enduring our own difficult pasts. Each character tells a tale that will resonate with everyone. They are your friends, your family, your neighbors, and yes, you. It is a poignant reminder that we are all connected, all united, on this human journey.
This heartfelt novel weaves five stories of tragedy, triumph, sadness, and hope that will leave the reader filled with their own sense of hope and optimism. It is an uplifting story that just had to be told. The author, Caroline D. Grimm said, ‘’In August of 2016, I was taking a long weekend trip to Acadia National Park.
My husband and I stayed in a cute little cottage on the quiet side of Mount Desert Island. While I was in the shower, this book came to me, start to finish. I jumped out of the shower and rushed for a notebook. I scribbled down the story to capture it before it slipped away. When I got back home, I set the story aside to work on other things. But, this was a story that was determined to be told. Like a cat hungry for breakfast, this story wouldn’t leave me alone.’’
Michael Corthell, Publicist 207-256-0416
© 2016 Advantage Media Consulting
The Setting: Mount Desert Island: Acadia
Mount Desert Island (MDI) is the largest island off the coast of Maine and the second largest (behind Long Island, New York) on the eastern seaboard of the United States. Nationally known as the home
There are many people who are surprised to hear that there are actually only four official townships on the island. They are Bar Harbor, Mount Desert, Southwest Harbor and Tremont. Bar Harbor encompasses the sections of Eden (once the original name for Bar Harbor), Hulls Cove, Salisbury Cove and Town Hill. Mount Desert, although having no official town “center,” consists of Hall Quarry, Northeast Harbor, Otter Creek, Seal Harbor and Somesville. With Southwest Harbor comes Manset
|Sand Beach, Acadia National Park|
Some Interesting Stats & Facts
- Some famous past and present residents include:
- David Rockefeller & Family, Ford Family
- Cap Weinberger, Secretary of Defense under President Reagan
- Martha Stewart
- Actors Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, John Travolta, and several other well knowns.
- At 108 square miles (280 km2), it is Maine's largest island, and 2nd largest on US Eastern Seaboard.
- As mentioned above in detail, MDI has 4 municipalities and multiple villages.
- Although, the island's year-round population is about 10,000, 2-2.5 million tourists visit each year.
- Native Americans lived, fished and camped here beginning over 5,000 years ago.
- There is only one road on and off the island and it crosses over the much smaller Thompson Island.
- Pronounce “Desert” like “Dessert” since it is of French origin.
- Local mountains had an east-west orientation prior to the last glacial period. It changed to north-south.
- Metamorphic, sedimentary, and igneous rocks can all be found on MDI.
- Large glaciers moved across the land at a snails pace of only a few yards per year.
- The last glacial period impacting this area ended about 18,000 years ago.
© 2016 Advantage Media Consulting